Hamilton, VA Homes for Sale
Get Your FREE KW MOBILE APP
Use Premier Team for all your Hamilton, VA homes for sale. We offer real estate properties like single-family, townhouses and condos. We also offer horse farms, lots and land for sale. Contact Gene Mock, Associate Broker, Premier Team, Keller Williams Realty 703-342-8100 or Contact Gene HERE
The Town of Hamilton is located west of the Town of Leesburg off Rt. 7. Hamilton was once occupied by several native tribes. European settlers arrived in the 1730s. In 1768, George and Tabitha Roach Tavenner built the first house in the Hamilton area. Their son, Richard and his wife Ann Hatcher, built an estate called Harmony and the surrounding area was thereafter known as Harmony. The Hamilton area consists of residential communities and surrounding farmland and is located in close commuting proximity to employment and shopping centers.
The Leesburg and Snickers Gap Turnpike Company opened a road connecting Leesburg and Snickersville in 1831. Growth ensued and by 1833, the area had enough population to sustain Harmony Methodist Church, which was built on land donated by Richard and Ann Hatcher Tavenner. The town also became known as Hamilton Store after a store founded there by Charles Bennett Hamilton. In 1835, John Quincy Adams approved a post office located in Hamilton's store and the town's name was recorded as Hamilton.
The last important Civil War action in Loudoun County, known as The Harmony Skirmish, took place on March 21, 1865 as confederate Colonel John S. Mosby and his troops surprised troops commanded by Colonel Marcus Reno.
By 1868, a steam railroad from Alexandria had come to Hamilton along the future route of the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad. Many tourists came to the town seeking relief from the city's heat. There was a one and 1/2 mile boardwalk that traversed the town and a dance hall. By 1900, the Town of Hamilton was Loudoun County's second largest town. The booming businesses in Hamilton included two newspapers, a butcher shop, a men's clothing store, a broom factory, a milliner, a dentist, two hardware stores, a stove shop, a flat racecourse, a livery stable and boarding houses.
The advent of the automobile led to a slow decline in tourism. In 1926, many of the town's central businesses were destroyed by fire and tourism thereafter declined sharply. Hamilton has since been known more as a residential community.
Get Your FREE KW MOBILE APP
Premier Team - Keller Williams Realty - Google Map
View Larger Map
Search Hamilton, VA Homes for Sale Homes for Sale
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the BRIGHT Internet Data Exchange program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which Keller Williams Realty participates, and is provided by BRIGHT through a licensing agreement. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Keller Williams Realty are marked with the IDX icon and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker.
©2019 BRIGHT, All Rights Reserved. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have Closed or are no longer being offered for sale.
Data last updated: Mar 19, 2019 11:23:pm.
Today's Market Trends for Hamilton, VA Homes for Sale *
* All data pertains to single-family homes